We are a remote-based digital marketing company powered by public relations. Our employees believe in doing business the right way with good people who want nice things for our communities. We’re grounded in simple principles that meet at the intersection of business, community, environmental protection, social equity, healthy living and fun.
Lots of fun.
We’re looking to expand our media relations capacity and are searching for our next Mixte Superstar to help our team grow its capabilities, implement mind-blowing work for our clients, and secure local to national media.
You are passionate about public relations and digital marketing and know how to build relationships, lead teams and think creatively to generate communications that break through crowded markets. Hopefully, you’ve participated in large-budget ad spends for major companies or organizations, gaining experience in managing six-figure budgets and large teams. But, you’re also done utilizing your expertise to sell more stuff and support companies that don’t stand for anything. You realize that climbing the corporate ladder isn’t for you. You dream of putting your talents to work protecting the people and community around you; of leveraging the power of media and digital channels to stand for human rights, promoting companies who care about their communities and ensuring that all people have the chance to thrive. You’re inspired by the challenge to make an impact with monthly advertising budgets as low as $300, and you love the idea of being a part of a small and nimble team.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSIVITY
Mixte is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and welcomes diversity. We are committed to building teams where people of all identities and backgrounds are welcome, included, and respected. We work to help close representation gaps in the PR and advertising industries, and to actively recruit people from underrepresented groups. We strongly encourage gender diverse people and minority candidates to apply for this role.
This senior-level role will work closely with existing teams and company leadership in order to develop campaigns for our clients as well as create more opportunities for our agency to consistently deliver higher quality and more fun client work.
This manager of public relations and digital marketing will have a vision for leveraging public relations and communications (AKA email, website content, social media, influencer marketing, partnership marketing, messaging and more) to build passionate, connected communities and drive social impact. This person will be a self-starter and someone who’s creative, organized, motivated by data, and interested in the overall digital marketing strategy down to the planning, implementation, and follow up to storyline pitches. This candidate will love systems and organizing projects, to-dos and teams through project management systems like Basecamp and Asana.
Reports to: Director of Marketing/Communications
Strong Management (35%)
- Support management team in courting new business, making presentations and developing proposals
- Lead company in financial, operational and human capital conversations as part of the management team
- Run 3 – 4 accounts to develop long-term relationships with clients who renew contracts year-over-year while also mentoring the team to lead their own accounts, and, ultimately, being accountable for the client results
- Support in developing company-wide systems to more effectively manage PR and social media-related work
- Defining and developing measurement models for project success with clients
Human Resources (15%)
- Mentor and educate all agency staff on public relations and communications
- Working in conjunction with other managers to oversee a team of six or more employees and ensuring consistent skill development and collaboration while living and working in six different states
- Develop the strategy for the PR department, ranging from ongoing professional development needs of the team members and their long-term skill building to the manner in which client accounts are serviced
Creative Work (50%)
- Analyzing results each month and looking for through lines in client work
- Reading news and finding opportunities for the team and clients to take advantage of current events
- Writing, writing and writing – and loving it
- Understanding how nonprofits operate and the racial equity issues that keep our clients up at night and finding ways to meet our clients where they are at while also leading them to bold actions
- Pushing teams to think bigger and more creatively about the work they are producing for clients
- Drafting and overseeing the development of public relations strategies for agency clients
- Relationships with East Coast media and leading opportunities to grow agency-wide connections
- Development of media releases and opinion pieces plus placing those stores in New York-based media
- Development of digital campaigns from the conceptualization and strategy phases through analyzing and identifying key takeaways
- Understanding of how to tailor campaigns for specific audiences and goals and ability to communicate that with both the Mixte team and clients in a way that gets them excited about the possibilities and encourages them to have fun
- Closing the knowledge gap between our PR department and our digital department to ensure our collective teams are firing on all cylinders
- We want to find the right person, so we’ll consider people with:
- 5+ years of experience in public relations and digital marketing,
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or
- On-the-job experience or education related to digital marketing, or
- Any interesting combination of the above three bullets
- Being a pro at running teams
- Experience working in an agency or proven experience in an agency-like setting
- Solid background in media relations
- Highly creative with excellent analytical abilities
NICE TO HAVE
- Relationships within or knowledge of or experience in social justice communities
- Project management experience in Basecamp or similar virtual planning tool
- An appetite for finding technological solutions to day-to-day challenges so we can all work smarter, not harder
- Fluent in English and also Spanish, Arabic or Vietnamese
COMPENSATION & CULTURE:
- Salary dependent on experience, but ranges from $65,000 to $85,000 annually
- You can learn more about benefits and our culture, here.
Tell us why you’re different, why you believe, why you’re the one. Be creative. Submit cover letter, resume and references via the below form. No phone calls, please. We will begin reviewing applications immediately, and will keep our search open until we find the right candidate.