HELLO! NICE TO MEET YOU
We’re a community-driven PR and Digital Marketing agency for changemakers, powered by social justice. We’re a small, mighty, diverse and fully remote team that believes we can use our communications expertise to make a difference in our communities.
COMPENSATION & CULTURE
- Salaries for all strategists start at $70K.
- We offer these outrageously awesome benefits, a four-day work week starting in 2023 and a paid winter break between Dec 25 and New Years.
A LITTLE ABOUT US
- Mixte is committed to building teams where people of all identities and backgrounds are welcome, included and respected (see our employee survey results). We encourage candidates to apply who are from Native American and Indigenous communities, communities of color and LGBTQIA+ communities, as well as folks who are from, or who have experience working, in social justice communities.
- Our core values drive everything we do – from the clients we work with to the way we operate as a team. We don’t advertise on Meta platforms, as it actively goes against our values, and we run our paid job training program for underrepresented communities
- We support every employee through professional development courses mapped to a customized 23-step proprietary program at Mixte.
A LITTLE ABOUT YOU
- You are dedicated to social justice – both in your local community and broader – and you get fired up reading the news.
- You understand the power of strategic, long-term media relations to build trust and drive people to action, which leads to real change.
- You’re looking to put your significant experience in media relations to work in creating lasting change, rather than using it to climb a corporate ladder. You specifically want to specialize in media relations.
- You are an independent self-starter who loves a media relations challenge, creating strategies to achieve results, and then pitching like mad to win coverage.
- You’re inspired by the idea of being a part of a small and nimble team where everyone has the opportunity to collaborate and surface ideas without the bureaucracy of larger companies.
- You have high levels of emotional intelligence and love building long-term relationships.
- Your experience working for other employers – both the good and the bad – has allowed you to crystallize exactly what you’re looking for in your next career, and you won’t sacrifice that vision for any job.
- You’re excited by – and have tremendous experience in – a 100% remote working environment. You appreciate the perks of working from home and you know how to produce stellar results virtually.
As a Media Relations Strategist at Mixte, you will fire up your passion for media relations to secure media coverage that can move the needle on social change. You know how to frame social justice issues with a compassionate, people-first lens, and through reading and research, you know how to find data to make your story. You believe in the power of media relations to support policy change and uplift community leaders to achieve equity. While traditional public relations is your jam (tiny community papers to national press), you also excel at digital strategies and creative thinking that generate opportunities for your clients. You will report to one of two directors at Mixte.
- Build trust and collaborative relationships with clients.
- Work independently while also collaborating and communicating with a diverse project team
- Prioritize which tasks are most important based on the size, scope and timeliness of each task.
- Generate ideas for Mixte clients without waiting for permission or a request to do so
- Confidently lead client meetings and internal meetings with media relations ideas, strategies and know how
- See the bigger picture of social change, understand how Mixte and its clients fit into the playbook and connect client efforts into bigger media opportunities
- Draft media materials, including press releases, media alerts, talking points, media prep sheets, op-eds, statements and pitches
- Draft media relations strategies as part of a larger communications plan and specific to smaller projects
- Find creative ways to pitch clients and secure and coordinate placements
- Build strong relationships with media
- Track deadlines in Asana and keep tasks moving through the approval process
- Coordinate – both informally and formally – with different clients to secure media coverage
- Consume daily news and come fired up with ideas to improve client work
- Pitch client stories to local, regional, national and international media
- Pitch client stories to non-traditional opportunities like influencers, email list serves, community partners and more
- Cultivate and earn new business for the company. Each position has outreach goals to achieve monthly.
- 7+ years of experience in media relations, either at an agency or in-house at a nonprofit (mostly, know what you want and don’t want in your career, and know that this style of job is what you want to excel at for a long while).
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic communications plans
- Exceptional communication and public speaking skills
- Outstanding leadership, program management and organizational skills
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Experience in Asana, Slack and Google Workspace preferred
- Multilingual, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese or Vietnamese preferred
READY TO APPLY?
Please send your resume to hailey@gomixte(dot)com with the subject line: “Your Next Media Relations Strategist”, and include a 30-second video explaining why you’re the one for this job. Be specific. Be creative. Be you.
No phone calls, please. We will begin reviewing applications immediately, and will keep our search open until we find the right candidate.