HELLO! NICE TO MEET YOU
We’re a community-driven Communications agency for changemakers, powered by social justice. We’re a small, mighty, diverse and fully remote team that believes we can use our communications expertise to make a difference in our communities.
COMPENSATION & CULTURE
- Salary for all strategist-level positions is $70,000.
- We offer these outrageously awesome benefits, a four-day work week and a paid winter break between Dec 25 and New Years.
A LITTLE ABOUT US
- Mixte is committed to building teams where people of all identities and backgrounds are welcome, included and respected (see our employee survey results). We encourage candidates to apply who are from Native American and Indigenous communities, communities of color and LGBTQIA+ communities, as well as folks who are from, or who have experience working, in social justice communities.
- Our core values drive everything we do – from the clients we work with to the way we operate as a team. We don’t advertise on Meta platforms, as it actively goes against our values, and we run a paid job training program for underrepresented communities
- We support every employee through professional development courses mapped to a customized 23-step proprietary program at Mixte.
A LITTLE ABOUT YOU
- You have strong public relations experience, with proven success earning stories in both national and regional media that uplift social justice movements and changemakers on the ground.
- You understand the power of strategic, long-term public relations to build trusting audiences and drive them to action, which leads to real change.
- You’re looking to put your significant experience to work in creating lasting change, rather than using it to climb a corporate ladder.
- You’re inspired by the idea of being a part of a small and nimble team where everyone has the opportunity to collaborate and surface ideas without the bureaucracy of larger companies.
- You have high levels of emotional intelligence and love building long-term relationships.
- Your experience working for other employers – both the good and the bad – has allowed you to crystallize exactly what you’re looking for in your next career, and you won’t sacrifice that vision for any job.
- You’re excited by – and have tremendous experience in – a 100% remote working environment. You appreciate the perks of working from home and you know how to produce stellar results virtually.
As a Public Relations Manager at Mixte, you are the public relations maven on the team responsible for thinking big, driving awe-inspiring ideas for our clients, and making them say, “WOW.” You have an insatiable appetite for reading the news and a love of media relations and creative community engagement to reach diverse populations. You get excited to strategize, build, engage and leverage wildly creative public relations ideas to increase our client’s visibility with their target audiences – particularly when it comes to national and regional media. This role will report to one of the Directors of Communications while partnering and collaborating daily with Project Managers and Strategists.
- Collaborate with multiple clients and develop trusting, long-term relationships with clients who renew contracts year over year
- Understand the big-picture role that public relations plays for each of our clients and propose ideas that inspire and wow them
- Operate with an expert degree of autonomy and reliability across all your teammates and projects as it relates to project timelines, meeting deadlines and communication on progress
- Use your emotional intelligence to foresee and respond to client concerns before they materialize into something bigger
- Confidence to guide clients toward what you know to be the best approach to public relations, while still making them feel heard
- Find technological solutions to day-to-day challenges so we can work smarter, not harder
- Collaborate with other strategists to understand how various other communications initiatives and strategies correlate and overlap and ensure all are working together smoothly and efficiently toward big-picture company and client goals
- Push the creative envelope and encourage the team to see their creative work as outside-the-box catalysts for social change
- Understand 23-point Mixte Manual and how all of the things Mixte does as a company interact with your strategic role as Public Relations Manager
- Develop strategic public relations plans customized to specific client goals and resources
- Dedicate time to reading the news on a daily basis
- Implement strategic public relations plans from start to finish, including but not limited to:
- Building media lists and strong media relationships at a local, regional and national level in key beats for Mixte clients
- All forms of written content (think everything from press releases, event pitches, newsletters, blogs and social media posts)
- Conduct coverage sweeps for clients utilizing monitoring tools
- Track content and metrics in the press and on social media
- Writing op-eds and letters to the editor
- Define measurement models for project success and review analytics regularly to understand the story the data is telling and translate that to clients and into the following steps
- Push the creative envelope for your work as an outside-the-box catalyst for social change while ensuring it meets Mixte’s standard for quality of work
- Cultivate and earn new business for the company. Each strategist has specific revenue goals for the department as well as outreach goals for each team member to achieve.
- Must have residency in – without exception – one of these states: CA, OR, FL, NY, GA, VA, HI, IL
- At least 5 years of experience in public relations with a heavy emphasis on media relations, either at an agency or in-house
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic public relations and media plans
- Experience working with media and pitching media – particularly regional and national media
- Exceptional communication and public speaking skills
- Outstanding leadership, program management and organizational skills
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Experience in Asana, Slack and Google Workspace preferred
- Multilingual, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese or Vietnamese preferred
READY TO APPLY?
Please send your resume to jamie@gomixte(dot)com with the subject line: “Your Next Public Relations Manager,” and include a 30-second video explaining why you’re the one for this job. Be specific. Be creative. Be you.
No phone calls, please. We will begin reviewing applications immediately, and will keep our search open until we find the right candidate.